Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Thank you for making my day

For a few weeks now, I have been trying to figure out how to put into words my appreciation for the man who lives down the street from me. Finally, I decided it can't be done. Every day just as the sun sets, this little old man crosses Orcutt road on foot and takes a picture of the sun slowly lowering itself across Broadway. He then stands there, as if trying to engrain the moment into his memory. He can see the beauty of the world through a busy street. He is the definition of "taking time to smell the roses." If everyone could see the good in life, the way this man does, the world would be so much better of a place. I really want to learn how to appreciate the little things as much as he does. I just get so caught up in day to day struggles, that I forget how lucky I am to be alive and living in such a beautiful world with such great people. I think it gets harder to love life, the older you get, but this man has managed to maintain his zest for it. So while he's staring at the sunset, and I'm staring at him, we both find meaning in the same moment. He, in that moment, loves the world, and I love it's inhabitants. I guess this post is really just to thank the man who gives me a happy moment every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment