Monday, August 26, 2013

Vocabulary # 2

accoutrements- additional items of dress
- My boyfriend bought me accoutrements to go with my outfit.
apogee- point in orbit that is furthest from center, furthest point
- When I am at the end of the book, I am at the apogee.
apropos- with reference to
- Many book have apropos to the bible. 
bicker- to argue  about petty matters
-My sister and I bickered back and forth, before deciding on where to eat.
coalesce- to come together to form a whole
-The puzzle pieces coalesced.
contretemps- an unfortunate event
- The death of your grandma and your dog was a contretemps.
convolution- a form or shape that is folded or coiled 
- The snake was all convoluted, and ready to attack
cull- select from a large quantity 
- I culled the chocolate pocket at the doughnut shop
disparate- essentially different in kind
- She was quite disparate from the other girls her age. 
dogmatic- insistently opinionated
- People can be fairly dogmatic in their views on politics.
licentious- promiscuous 
- Tiger Woods is quite licentious.
mete- to dispense or a lot punishment 
- The police must mete those who speed.
noxious- harmful, poisonous, unpleasant 
- Battery acid if ingested is noxious.
polemic- a verbal or written attack
- My boss and I had a huge polemic. 
populous- containing many inhabitants
- New York is very populous, because it is so huge. 
probity- having strong morals and values
- The girl could not leave the man she hit with her car in the street, because she had probity.
repartee- a conversation with lots of banter
- Politicians often have repartee during their conversations.
supervene- to occur later than originally planned
- We had to supervene our lunch plans.
truncate- to cut short
- I am running late so we will have to truncate this conversation.
unimpeachable- not able to be doubted
- My fathers statements are unimpeachable. 

No comments:

Post a Comment