Monday, September 23, 2013

Vocab #6

obsequious- showing servile complaisance; fawning
- The girl obsequiously  made the boy a sandwich.
beatitude- supreme blessedness or exalted happiness
- I felt such beatitude  to be able to join the military.
bete noire- this person or thing especially disliked
- The crown is the bête noir
Of the coloring utensils.
bode- to be an omen of
- My sister borrowing my shirt did not bode well for me.
dank- unpleasantly moist or humid
- Rain forests are quite dank at this time of year.
ecumenical- General or universal
-It is an ecumenically excepted fact that men die before women.
fervid- heated or vehement in spirit
- I was fervid with excitement for the upcoming concert I would be attending.
fetid- having inoffensive odor, stinking
- Anywhere near the pigpen was fetid.
gargantuan- gigantic
- The church was gargantuan and beautiful.
heyday- stage or period with greatest vigor
- Around the age of one children are at their heyday for walking.
incubus- A Demonn or evil spirit
- The mentally Ill woman claimed that and incubus had attacked her in her sleep.
infrastructure- framework
- The constructors finished building the infrastructure of the building.
inveigle- to entice or lure
- I inveigled him into cooking me dinner.
kudos- Honor or glory
- I gave him kudos for his work with the volunteer center.
lagniappe- A gratuity or a gift with purchase
- I was happy I got a lagniappe with all the thing I bought from the store.
prolix- tediously lengthy
- I wrote a Prolix report on healthy eating habits.
protege- A person under the patronage
- The artist's protégé was very talented also.
prototype- The original model based on which something is formed
- I created a prototype of the car I wish to one day make.
sycophant- A servile flatterer
- I don't mean to be a sycophant when I say that I really like your outfit and ask where it's from.
tautology- needless repetition of an idea
- I used tautology to help explain the math problem in a more clear way.
truckle- to yield  obsequiously
-  She truckled under the pressure of her math test.
accolade- and award or honor
- It was quite accolade to get to be on varsity my sophomore year.
acerbity- sourness
- Her acerbity towards Russian films was absolutely baffling to me.
attrition- a reduction or decrease in numbers
- The attrition from the amount of people at the first meeting to the amount of people at the last meeting was absolutely insane.
bromide- A platitude or trite saying
- The sun will come out tomorrow is a very bromide statement.
chauvinist- aggressively patriotic or prefers one gender over another
- He was a chauvinist who believed women belonged in the kitchen and men belonged at work.
chronic- Constant or habitual
- I have had chronic arthritis for around 20 years now.
expound- to set forth
- I want to expound on a journey that will last a lifetime.
factionalism- self interested
- Her factionalism is what led her to a very lonely life.
immaculate- extremely clean or clear from moral impurity
- Her house was immaculatly decorated.
imprecation- a curse
- The witch put andimprecation on our house so anyone who lives in it will die young. 
ineluctable- incapable of being evaded
- The ineluctable truth was that I would never be able to have children.
mercurial- changeable or fickle
- Her mercurial personality caused her to have trouble picking out an outfit every morning.
palliate- to relieve or lesson without curing
- The Neosporin will help the pain of the cut, but the cut will heal on its own with time.
protocol- customs and regulations dealing with diplomatic formality.
- Standard protocol for dealing with stealing from the store is to fire the person who is guilty.
resplendent- shining brilliantly
- The resplendent lights on the Christmas tree added to the feeling of winter.
stigmatize- to disgrace 
- By having an affair with a married man you have stigmatized your family's name.
sub rosa- secretly; privately
- We could have a sub rosa conversation about buying mom a birthday gift tomorrow.
vainglory- excessive pride over one's achievements
- Her vainglory over getting her athletic letter was absolutely ridiculous.
vestige- A surviving evidence
- I was hoping there might be just a vestige of pie left for me when I got home.
volition- The act of willing, choosing, or resolving
- My volition of myself to go to practice was the only thing that drove me there.


No comments:

Post a Comment