Monday, September 9, 2013

Vocabulary #4

accolade- an award or honor
-It was a great accolade to be invited to the party the most popular girl and school was having.
acerbity- Sourness, roughness, harshness
- Her acerbity towards my dog made it clear that she was not an animal person.
attrition- a reduction, or decrease in numbers
- The attrition in sales caused the business to have to shut down.
bromide- a platitude or trite saying
- He gave us a long bromide speech about why we should appreciate everything we have.
chauvinist- Someone who is aggressively patriotic, or a person who believes one gender is better than the other
- He was a complete chauvinist. He said that women should not be allowed to get jobs.
chronic- Constant, habitual, reoccurring
- I have chronic foot pain, because I don't wear supportive shoes.
expound- To set forth, or state in detail
- I do not have to expound my reasons for giving my baby up for adoption.
factionalism- Self-interest, partisan 
- Your factionalism is causing all of those who you care about to suffer.
immaculate- Spotlessly clean, or free from moral impurity
- Her house was so immaculate, that I didn't want to wear my shoes on her carpet. 
imprecation- A curse, or malediction
- The witch put an imprecation on my child, because I was mean to her.
ineluctable- Inescapable
- The uncomfortable conversation I was having seems to be ineluctable.
mercurial- Changeable, volatile, fickle
- Her mercurial attitude made it difficult for her to find a house to live in.
palliate- To relieve or lessen without curing
- The doctors palliated her cancer so she could die in peace.
protocol- Customs and regulations dealing with diplomatic formality
- We must follow fire drill protocol  while we are attending school.
resplendent- Shining brilliantly, Gleaming
- The resplendent Christmas tree added to the winter atmosphere.
stigmatize- To set some mark of disgrace or infamy upon
- The Scarlet letter stigmatized the girl who had committed adultery.
sub rosa- Confidently, secretly, privately
- She came to me sub rosa to talk about  her father's passing.
vainglory- Excessive pride or elation over one's achievements
- Her vainglory showed that she was not the hero we thought she was.
vestige- a surviving evidence
- I still had a vestige  of hope that somehow my lost dog would return to me.
volition- a choice or decision made by will
- The volition that we came to was that Sarah should be team captain. 

No comments:

Post a Comment