Wednesday, September 18, 2013

What a character

"Tris" is a girl from the Divergent series, by Veronica Roth. She has made an impression on me, because I admire her strength in the series. Teenagers in the series are forced to choose what kind of person they are when they turn a certain age. Tris is brave enough to decide that her personality is not able to be put in a category. I like that she is willing to stand up for herself, even if it makes her an outsider looking in on a life she once knew. She chooses to be her own person, instead of submitting to what others want her to be. The fact that the author wrote the story in the first person makes it easier for me to relate to Tris. The use of stream of conscious as a tactic helps readers to better understand the internal conflicts the main character struggles with. The use of these devices to describe her as a character is what made her discernable, in my mind from other characters I have read about.

No comments:

Post a Comment