Monday, September 16, 2013

Vocabulary #5

obsequious- Characterized by or showing servile deference
- Need a hotel owner was quite obsequious to our needs.
beatitude- Supreme blessedness or exalted happiness
- It was quite an accolade to have such a beatitude  in our home.
bete noire- a person or a thing that is disliked or dreaded
Jury duty is a bĂȘte noir.
bode- To be an omen of or to announce before hand
- My itchy throat boded that I was getting sick.
dank- Unpleasantly moist or humid
- Did dank weight room caused us to move our workout outside.
ecumenical- General or universal
- It is a ecumenically excepted truth that without oxygen we would die.
fervid- Burning, glowing, enthusiastic
- The fervid flame on the candle flickered wildly.
fetid- Having an offensive odor
- The old, moldy cheese was very fetid.
gargantuan- Gigantic, enormous, colossal
- The gargantuan lion seem to scare every person who went near it.
heyday- The stage or period with greatest vigor
- The heyday of jeggings seem to have only lasted a week.
incubus- a demon, evil spirit, or nightmare
- I saw incubus standing staring through my window while I was laying in bed.
infrastructure- The basic underlying framework
- The infrastructure of the house had already been created, so now all that was left was building the roof.
inveigle- To entice or Lure
- I inveigled him into helping me with my math homework.
kudos- Honor and glory
- You deserve kudos for your work with the military.
lagniappe- a gift with purchase or a tip
- I got a free hand sanitizer as a lagniappe for buying three lotions.
prolix- Long and wordy
- They prolix to essay got to be quite boring after a while.
protege- a person under protection or patronage
- My protege learned to appreciate art, because of me.
prototype- And original or model based on which something is formed
- My prototype of a hands-free cell phone did not turn out very well.
sycophant- a self-seeking servile flatterer
- The sycophant agreed with everybody at the meeting just to make things easier.
tautology- Repetition of an idea
- His tautology of his idea to expand the company became very annoying, and unnecessary.
truckle- To prevent or yield obsequiously
- Did dog truckled  to my demands that he lay down.

No comments:

Post a Comment