Friday, October 4, 2013

Literature analysis #2

1) The book I chose was "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" by Ken Kesey. It is the story of a man who goes by Broom Bromeden, and all of the characters he incounters in the mental instituition he lives in. It is about the trials and tribulations of living in such awful conditions. They live under the authority of a Nurse. She is the person who is supposed to help them live happier healthier lives, but instead she brings nothing but a lugubrious air to the institution. This book sheds light on the awful practices that took place in mental institutions not long ago. Kelsey's purpose in writing this book was to expose the torture that the mentally I'll endured during this time period, and what the long lasting effects on the patients were. I thing that Kesey achieved  his goal. I felt the pain that each of the characters struggled to survive through. It made me think about what life must have been like for some one who was mentally I'll during that time period.
2) The theme of this novel was strength. It took such strength for each of thes characters to rise up, and fight the life they were condemned to.
3) His tone was hopeful. Although it seemed to be impossible, the introduction of a new character by the name of Mcmurphy brought hope to the patients, hope for change.
" hello buddy, what's that you're playing, Pinochle"?
"I plan to do a lot of smoking."
" me and Cheif here locked horns like two greased monkeys."
4) Imagery -  this helped me to get a good idea of the characters " he's so tiny he looks like he's a mile away"
Simile- helps readers picture things " his face was handsome, and brutal like wax"
Metaphor- helps readers find comedy In the story " The machines were playing to the beat of a rhythm."
Symbolism- I don't have a specific example for this, but Mcmurphy is a symbol to the other patients of what life on the outside was like.
Irony- There was irony in the fact that the nurse who was supposed to help her patients was hurting them. " She dreams of a perfectly organized world run on wires and circuits"
Setting- without the setting of the mental hospital, there would be no story. "I open my eyes and she's down the hall and into the glass nursing station"
Personification- helped describe the ward "the walls cried and sand as the machines turned on"
Diction - the non formal diction helps us get to know the characters " what about that little fart of a doctor"?
Conflict- the main conflict was between the patients and the staff "if you act like a child you will be treated as such"
Point of view- the story being told in first person helps us know the characters thoughts and feelings " I try to avoid the electric shaver as much as possible"

Characterization
1) indirect- This helped me get a better description of the more superficial parts of the book " he couldn't make words come out right anymore"
" His iron ball shrank back into a hand"
Direct- This is my favorite. It helped me to see the inner workings of the character's mind. " I listen to them fad away, until all I can hear is a memory of the sound"
" it's getting hard to locate my bed at night"
2) The author's diction stays the same throughout the story. I think he wants to put emphasis on the fact that most of the patients were not well educated. They usually curse a lot, and speak with accents.
3) The protagonist is very dynamic. There are many levels to him. People in the ward thing he is crazy. He isn't crazy, he is just in need of help. There is much more to him than meets the eye.
4) I feel like after reading this book, I really got to know the characters. The descriptive language the author used really helped me. I loved learning more and more about the characters as the story went on. It was sad, but worth it. " I think under the circumstances of this rebellion, we should take away a privilege." I felt like I could not be rooting for the other team more in this argument. Throughout the book the author wrote so well, that I spent the entire time hoping to see the characters I had grown to love get the rights they deserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment