Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Thoughts on Hamlet (in progress)

Today in class we wrote a journal on what we think Hamlet's values might be. I
think that above all else he values loyalty. I think to truly be crazy you don't need motives to do awful things. Hamlet has done everything thus far to prove his loyalty to his father. His vengeful acts against Claudius are all just his way of saying " I know what you did to my dad, and you can't replace him." I'm not saying what Hamlet has done is right, but I don't think they are acts of a mad man. Maybe he just has no sense of right and wrong. Based on what we know about Queen Gertrude, she could be where he gets it from. His murdering Polonius may just be Shakespear's way of showing the audience what lengths Hamlet is willing to got to for revenge, and foreshadowing the deaths to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment