Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Tools that change the way we think

Social networking expands the limits of thought. It changes the way we look at the world. We can learn about places we've never been, meet people we may have never met, and learn things that change us. The only disconcerting part is that we have become so dependent on these new waves of technology that we would be lost without them. I start my day with an alarm on my phone, and end it with a quick stroll through my Instagram. It makes me wonder how people managed before the creation of these devices and networks. Whenever I talk to my parents about things like this they are sure to mention none of this  even existed when they were my age. It's scary to think that all of this technology could expand or collapse within a few years. My generation is so used to the stead-fast growth of the technological boom, that I don't know what we would do if manufacturing companies just some how ran out of ideas one day. Ghandi himself once said While my body on itself is nothing but a meticulous machinery How can I dismiss it? My spinning wheel or even this toothpick, for that matter, is a machine. I hate not the machines, but this growing passion for machines. I hate the passion for the machines which work upon diminishing man power. Some talk about machine which could spare man power when thousands of people are thrown jobless on the streets. Yes, I want the human toil and time to be spared not just for a sect of people but for the humanity. I want the wealth to be accumulated not just in few hands but for all the people in the world. Today machines favor putting handful of people on top thousands.’ Technology is taking the place of human relationships. Our codependency is driving us to ruin relationships and attach ourselves, instead to computer screens and iPods. I definitely appreciate that it is the way of the future, but we also need to realize the effect it is having on our lives.
I got this quote off http://ajithanmotherearth.blogspot.com/2012/07/gandhi-on-technology.html?m=1

No comments:

Post a Comment