Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Vocab #9

aficionado- and ardent devotee; fan
- I have watched football for years. Some might even call me an aficionado.
browbeat- to intimidate; bully
- You can't browbeat me into doing your homework!
commensurate- having the same measure; of equal extent or duration
- Your height should commensurate with the amount of coffee you drink.
diaphanous- very sheer and light
- My sheets are to diaphanous, so I get cold at night.
emolument- profit; salary
- I made a very small emolument working at Mcdonalds
foray- a quick raid or attack
- The foray surprised us all, and lead to many deaths.
genre- a class or category of artistic endeavor 
- Scream goes in the Horror film genre.
homily- a sermon usually on a biblical topic
- The preacher gave his homily on friendships and not being judgemental.
immure- to enclose within walls 
- I immured my dog in the bathroom, so he wouldn't have an accident on the floor.
insouciant- free from concern or worry
- I felt very insouciant once I finished my homework.
matrix- something that constitutes the place or point from which something else originates, takes form, or develops
- The first scene Hamlet is the matrix from which the story starts.
obsequies- a funeral rite or ceremony
- The obsequies was very depressing, but what funeral is fun.
panache- a flamboyant manner
- The panache with which he presented made it interesting.
persona- the personality a person projects
- His persona was quiet and coy, but in reality he is loud.
philippic- a speech or discourse
- The philippic inspired me to reach for my dreams. 
prurient- having lustful thoughts 
- Teenage boys are prurient.
sacrosanct- extremely sacred
- In my house chocolate is sacrosanct.
systemic- of or pertaining to a system
- When people get in trouble with the law, their trial is systemic.
tendentious- biased
- Since I have five dogs I am tendentious towards them when they are compared to cats.
vicissitude- a change or variation 
- The entire basis of evolution was vicissitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment